In MasterCook versions 4 and earlier, your recipes are stored within the MCF and MRF files on your computer. The MCF file contains the text. The MRF file contains photos. If you don't have any photos in any recipes in that cookbook there won't be an MRF file. MasterCook uses these files simultaneously as you use the program. They should always remain together on the computer. Use Windows to search for those two files on your computer. Make a backup copy of them. Go to the Cookbooks screen in MasterCook and use the Open command from the File menu to add these older cookbooks to the newer version.
In MasterCook versions 5 and greater, recipes are stored within the MC2 and MCX files on your computer. The MC2 file contains the text. The MCX file contains photos. If you don't have any photos in any recipes in that cookbook there won't be an MCX file. MasterCook uses these files simultaneously as you use the program. They should always remain together on the computer.
ATTENTION: If you were using MasterCook 9 or older with Windows Vista or newer, see This Article.
BACKING UP FILES
(1) Your cookbook files as well as menu and meal plan files can be found inside the collection folders on your computer. (2) The other files such as shopping lists, print designs, ingredient list (when you add or edit ingredients in the Ingredient List, etc.) can be found within the MC TOOLS folder. See the end of this article below for further details.
MasterCook 15 comes with a new Backup feature. Use it to back up your files. See MasterCook 15 Backup
For MasterCook 14 and earlier use Windows to locate your collection and MC Tools folder on the computer for the older versions of MasterCook.
- The MasterCook 14 collection folders and MC Tools folder is found within the MasterCook folder at this location on your computer:
Windows Vista and newer: C:\Users\Public\Documents\MasterCook 14
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Documents\MasterCook 14
- The MasterCook 11 collection folders and MC Tools folder is found within the MasterCook folder at this location on your computer:
Windows Vista and newer: C:\Users\Public\Documents\MasterCook
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Documents\MasterCook
- The MasterCook 9, 8, 7, and 6 folders and files are found within the Program Files folder on your computer.
- The MasterCook 6, 5 products by Sierra can be found in the SIERRA folder on your computer. Open the C drive on your computer. Open the SIERRA folder. Inside there is a MasterCook folder. Back that MasterCook folder up.
To back them up close MasterCook. Use Windows to copy them to another disk or drive. If you use an automatic online back up service just have it back up your entire MasterCook folder.
For MasterCook 15 use the new Merge tab in My MasterCook Manager to merge your backup files back into MasterCook 15. Please see MasterCook 15 Merge
Which files contain my content?
In the Collection Folders:
.pln - meal plans
.mnu - menus
.mc2 - cookbook text
.mcX - cookbook pictures
In the MC Tools Folder:
.mcd - print designs
.mcp - paper definitions
.sl - shopping lists
.pl - pantry
.el - equivalents
.bl - substitutions
.src - saved search criteria
MC Alt Sources.mtd - alternate source labels
MC Alt Times.mtd - alternate times labels
MC Calendar.mcl - calendar file (if you add recipes to a calendar menu)
MC Favorites.mfv - favorites
MC Ingredients.ing - ingredient file (if you edited it)
MC Prep Methods.mtd - prep list
MC Tips.mtf - Tips file (if you edited it)
MC Tips.mcx - Tips pictures (if you edited Tips file or added a picture)
MC Wine List.wl - wine list
userdic.tlx - words added to dictionary for spellchecker