What is a cookbook file?
Cookbooks in MasterCook (version 5 and above) are comprised of two files on your computer that are used simultaneously by MasterCook:
- *.mc2 - These files contain all the text of every recipe in a cookbook.
- *.mcx - These files contain all of the photos inserted in every recipe in the cookbook. (If your cookbook contains no recipe pictures, there won't be a companion *.mcx file.)
IMPORTANT: Always back up these cookbook files on a regular basis. Copy them to another disk or drive. In case of file corruption or computer failure, you will have backup files to restore.
CAUTION: Always keep these files together within the same folder on your computer. They work hand-in-hand. If you open an *.mc2 file while its *.mcx file resides in another folder on your computer, you will corrupt the picture associations for the entire cookbook. You won't be able to get them back unless you restore from prior backups (*.mc2 & its *.mcx companion file).
MasterCook 4 or Older
If you want to add your recipes (cookbook files) from MasterCook 4 or older, just open the .mcf file. MasterCook 22 will automatically add it and convert it into its own cookbook format.
MasterCook 5 or Newer
If you just want to add your recipes (cookbook files) from MasterCook 5 or newer, you do these two things:
- Copy the .mc2 and .mcx (cookbook) files into the My Collection folder for MasterCook 22 (See the screenshot example below.)
- Then refresh MasterCook 22.
All versions of MasterCook 5 and Greater expect those cookbook files to be within its own My Collection folder on your computer. If you installed MasterCook 22 onto your computer at the default installation location, you would find that My Collection folder on your computer at this location:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\MasterCook 22\My Collection
Follow the numbered steps below to add your cookbook files to MasterCook 22.
- Open the C drive on your computer.
- Open the Users folder.
- Open the Public folder.
- Open the Documents folder. (TIP: Or, use Windows to search for the Public Documents folder.)
- Open the MasterCook 22 folder.
- Open the My Collection folder.
- Place a copy of your .mc2 and .mcx cookbook files into this My Collection folder.
- Then start up MasterCook 22 on your computer and go to the Cookbooks screen.
- Select Refresh File List from the Tools menu.
This will make your cookbooks appear in the program. If you have menus or meal plan files, those are the .mnu and .pln files. They can also be copied into the My Collection folder and refresh MasterCook as explained above.