Before you sync, make a current backup of your files either using the Backup screen in My MasterCook Manager or by using Windows. Both result in the same, so pick the method that's easiest for you! Both methods are explained in this article: MasterCook Backup
This video demonstrates how syncing operates: Creating a New Recipe in MasterCook and Syncing to Online
This video demonstrates how to use the web importer and sync to the computer and make changes on the computer and sync back to online: Recipe Web Import and Sync with MasterCook on the Computer
Please watch that video so you can learn how it operates correctly for others.
Syncing is bidirectional, so when you add/edit/delete a recipe at one location (online vs. the computer), it will do the same to the other location.
Please follow these steps to ensure success when syncing:
- Go to the My Account screen in My MasterCook Manager on the computer and press the Logout button. It's important to log out of your online account at MasterCook.com.
- Next, go to the Cookbooks screen in the main MasterCook program on the computer and select Refresh File List from the Tools menu. (It's important to refresh when you are not signed into My MasterCook Manager. This resets the sync files on the computer.)
- Either stay on the main Cookbooks screen or close the main MasterCook program, and return to the My MasterCook Manager and go to the Sync screen. (The program can't sync if you are using a cookbook on the computer. It actually works best if you close the main program completely while you are using the Sync scree in the My MasterCook Manager program.) Sign back into your online account.
- Make sure you see your cookbook names listed on the right side of the Sync screen. Do NOT sync if you do not see your cookbooks listed on the right side of the Sync screen. (Contact MasterCook Support and send a screenshot of what you see instead.)
- Add a checkmark to one of your cookbooks and sync it.
- When you are done syncing your cookbook, go to the My Account screen in My MasterCook Manager and press the Logout button.
- Before you sign back into your online account in the My MasterCook Manager to sync, refresh the files for MasterCook as explained in Step 2 above.
If you have problems syncing or recipes disappear on the computer or you have duplicate online cookbooks, immediately go to the My Account screen in My MasterCook Manager and sign out of your online account. Then contact MasterCook Support for advice. Please let us know which version of MasterCook you are using. Go to the Help menu in MasterCook on the computer and select About MasterCook. It has a complete version number listed there.
CAUSES OF SYNCING PROBLEMS:
- A cookbook can't sync if you have it opened and are viewing it inside the program. Therefore, go to the main cookbooks screen, so the cookbook is no longer in use. Or, close the MasterCook 15 (or 2020) program. It does not need to be running while you are using the My MasterCook Manager program to sync.
- A cookbook cannot sync if you have duplicates of that cookbook in your online cookbooks screen which you can review here: Online Cookbooks. If you have duplicate online cookbooks, immediately sign out of your account in My MasterCook Manager on the computer and follow these instructions: Duplicate Online Cookbooks
- Recipes can't sync if you have duplicate recipes within an online cookbook. Open your online cookbook and scan through the title to make sure you don't have duplicate recipes inside of an online cookbook. In MasterCook on the computer you are not able to have duplicate recipes within a cookbook, so that's why they can't sync.
- If you open a cookbook file from Windows, such as one in a backup location, that temporarily opens that cookbook file in MasterCook. If you already have a cookbook by that name in the program, you will have created a duplicate ghost at this point since the program is already using a cookbook by that name. That will cause an issue for sync. If you must do this, first sign out of your online account in My MasterCook Manager. After you are done temporarily viewing a cookbook file in this manner, go to the Cookbooks screen in MasterCook on the computer and select Refresh File List from the Tools menu. This causes MasterCook to forget about the file you temporarily opened. Then you can sign back into My MasterCook Manager.
If you still have a problem, please close MasterCook. Send us your file that's having the issue, so we can see if we have the same problem syncing that particular file. It could be something within the file is causing a problem. Your files are either within the collection folder on your computer or the MC Tools folder. Go to the Backup tab in My MasterCook Manager, which will show the locations of the files you are currently using in MasterCook.